South Wharf’s striking new pedestrian bridge is fittingly named to reflect Melbourne’s rich maritime history.
Officially named in late 2009, the bridge is already popular with walkers and bike riders accessing Melbourne’s world-class Convention Centre and travelling to and from Docklands.
The name was selected following a call for submissions from the community. More than 500 submissions were received.
The name draws on the rich maritime history of the area and is a fitting connection to the nearby ‘Mission to Seafarers’ centre located at the bridge’s northern landing.
The Mission to Seafarers is an international organisation which cares for the practical and spiritual welfare of seafarers of all nationalities and faiths.
The Melbourne Mission, created in 1905, is a volunteer-managed facility providing a home away from home for approximately 12,000 seafarers visiting the Port of Melbourne annually.
This bridge forms a vital connection between the city’s waterfront and the river-front.